Saturday, January 1, 2011

The First Day of the Best Year Ever

That's a bold statement, but I choose to believe . . .

Making it to 2011 has not been an easy feat. I won't go into it other than to say that recovering from the death of a child is unlike recovering from any other loss (at least that which I have experienced). Coping with the death of a newborn baby makes you feel crazy and makes you want to do crazy things. By the grace of God, though, and by your prayers, I didn't do anything to crazy. Thus, I made it to the best year ever.

I found my 2009 New Year's resolutions written in a notebook. They were:
1. Get a haircut (achieved)
2. Read at least one chapter of the Bible each day (not achieved)
3. Get into the 190s (pounds, that is) (not achieved)
4. Get pregnant (achieved)

Understandably, I did not write any resolutions or goals for 2010. One year ago, I was living one-day-at-a-time, thanking God every morning for the kicks that told me my baby was still alive. Yes, God did give me the sense to plan ahead for Gabriel's funeral, knowing that I would handle things better if the details were planned out. I did not, however, have any interest in looking ahead to life without my baby. We lived to enjoy each day as God gave it to us.

It's time to make goals again, time to quit making excuses. As a boycott against resolutions, which rarely work out, I am making goals. Some goals I will make for the year and some month-to-month to make them more attainable.

2011 Goals:
1. Get Gabriel's book published
2. Read the entire Bible using The One Year Bible
3. Get something published besides my book, like a short story or article, in a magazine or journal
4. Write a novel
5. Attend a writer's conference
6. Give birth to a perfect, healthy baby and BRING IT HOME!

January 2011 Goals:
1. Get pregnant with the perfect, healthy baby referred to in #6 above
2. Pray more. Pray everyday. Pray for people other than myself.
2. Follow Weight Watchers points system unwaveringly throughout the month
3. Swim at least twice a week

Note: I feel very bold saying I plan to write a novel this year. It seems very out of reach. It is hard for me to remember what it was like at the beginning of 2010 when I wanted to write a book. It felt unattainable, but I just started doing it. I taught myself how. That's what I will do this time, too. It just might take me a while.

7 comments:

  1. bonnie, you've inspired me... I need to make some goals of my own :) p.s. I plan to read all of the books you publish, so let me know asap when you do. haha! My prayers will be with you- I hope you accomplish everything you've set out for; Happy 2011!! -julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie. I thought I was only going to have a couple of goals for 2011, but as I began to write them down, I thought of more and more things I want to accomplish. Research shows you are 95% more likely at achieve your goals if you write them down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should write children's book! I would buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janel,

    I did write two children's books: KAPUT KITTY and I MISS MY MOM. I really want to be a novelist, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the children's books available somewhere?

    I also think a goal is much better than a resolution and I need to set my goals down in writing. One of those goals is to write a book since friends keep telling me I need to do that. I'm learning a lot from following you through the process.

    I am praying and trusting with you for the baby. I am anxious to read a status update that says a little James is on the way. God is so faithful and He knows what a wonderful mother you are.

    Love to you, Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Debbie. That means so much.

    No, the children's books are unpublished.

    Start by reading A LOT of the books in the genre you want to write in (I'm guessing you already do that.) Then, start reading how-to writing books and Writer's Digest magazines. Read authors' blogs of the same niche. You have the advantage of already having a platform because of the devotional groups you've led (I'm assuming you want to do devotional writing.). Just start teaching yourself. I still can't believe I did it, and when I do it again, I'm really not going to be able to believe it!

    Love to you, as well,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete