Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Day 22: Black and Blue

So far, I have administerd nine Heparin injections in my belly (subcutaneously, or in the fat). After giving myself the Follistim injections in the belly so many times (that's the med that made me produce follicles), I thought this Heparin thing wasn't going to be a big deal. I was wrong.

The  needle, while very tiny, doesn't slide through the skin effortlessly like the Follistim needle did. So, at first, I was pushing it through the skin, and the skin was giving a little resistance. Then, I figured out this isn't a problem if I just stab myself. That, of course, is a little scary and causes me to have to work up a tiny bit of courage every time. Plus, a couple of times I have gotten overzealous and stabbed myself so hard that the needle bounced back out, and I ended up having to stick myself again!

My belly is bruised--black and blue. From nine injections, I have nine bruises on my belly and nine little red blood spots that look like polka dots. It's a little tender, but nothing I can't handle. Maybe one of these days you'll be lucky enough to get a picture of these bruises. I'm going to have to think long and hard about letting you see me that naked. I do, afterall, want you to keep reading!

Now, I'm only telling you about the downside of these Heparin injections for the sake of this blog and of keeping my beloved readers in the know. I am in no way complaining about them. I will do anything to bring this baby(ies) home. And, after everything, I barely even register these little pokes and bruises as pain.

5 comments:

  1. Keep doing what you can do and God will do the rest. love you xoxoxo Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh I hate shots! I have to take Lovenox shots twice a day and when we hit 36 weeks we switch to Heparin, i look like some body has beaten my stomach from the bruising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney, I can't wait for your little babies to get here. That will be a little boost of encouragement for me, I'm sure. Thank you so much for reading. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Bonnie, you will get through this. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're in my prayers. I'm so inspired by your blog. The Lord has great plans for you. Thanks for being such a strong woman of faith.

    ReplyDelete