Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 18: The First of 470 Shots


This pile of syringes is only for the first two weeks! Crazy, huh?

It's Heparin, which is a blood thinner. I have to take 0.25ml twice a day along with a low dose aspirin. My miscarriage on September 10 with Tater Tot was due to Antiphospholipid Syndrome. Basically, it's paternal antibodies. My body has it out for all men, and it took it out on my tiny Tater Tot.

Antiphospholipid antibodies can cause the blood vessels to constrict and blood to clot, resulting in fetal demise. The purpose of the Heparin, though it is a blood thinner, is not to thin the blood. The dose is so small that it doesn't thin the blood that much. The Heparin attaches to the antibodies and then flushes them from my system. It does not cross the placenta, so there is no danger to the baby.

I started the Heparin today because it needs to be in my system before the embryo(s) attach. Makes sense, right? If we wait until it(they) attach, the antibodies would get the first shot.

You know, at first I was angry about what happened to Tater Tot with this whole antibody thing. I can't say that I'm not still angry or that I don't feel wronged in some way. To be fair, I never let myself get angry over what happened to Gabriel, so I felt entitled to a little angriness. When I look at all those syringes, though, and the Heparin vials and know that I am empowered every single day with something that is going to put this new baby(ies) in my arms, I feel very blessed. How many women have gone before me with multiple miscarriages before their doctor figured out the antibody syndrome? How many women have gone before me, losing all their babies, before medical science had even discovered this Heparin treatment?

9 comments:

  1. Yikes, it doesn't look fun. But when it works it will all be worth it. Sprinkling baby dust your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we all should be thankful for modern medical science. We mow cemeteries and in one particular cemetery, there are 9 little headstones, all babies from one family. I can't totally imagine her loss, or yours, but I'm thinking she would have done anything to keep those babies. Someday, you can tell your babies about your willingness to do anything to have and keep them, and it will make them feel so special. Praying for successful implantation!!!! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. My New Normal,

    Did you give any thought to having your antibodies checked before you try to get pregnant again?

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, it's not a bad idea. The placenta had inflammation of unknown cause,,,, maybe it was my immune system??? It certainly wouldn't hurt anything. I will have to remember to ask about it when we visit the fertility clinic (which I'm going to set up soon).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie James! You are one.tough.cookie!!!
    Lots of prayers being sent up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My New Normal,

    Antibodies wouldn't have affected your first baby. They are developed during your first pregnancy and can affect subsequent pregnancies. Like I said before, you probably don't have this antibody thing that I have, but if someone would have just said, "Her baby just died. Let's do everything we can to make sure that doesn't happen again," and given me the simple blood test, I wouldn't have miscarried my second baby. I don't want that to happen to you. I want your new normal to be raising a healthy baby.

    The doctors' protocol is to wait for a miscarriage before giving the antibody test. Don't let them wait.

    Thank you so much for reading.

    -Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmm.. I have a friend that was having many miscarriages wonder if that is what it was.. she is now carrying at 32 weeks.. finally.. but she had three miscarriages.. she would only carry to 20 weeks or less...very interesting to know..

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm.. I have a friend that was having many miscarriages wonder if that is what it was.. she is now carrying at 32 weeks.. finally.. but she had three miscarriages.. she would only carry to 20 weeks or less...very interesting to know..

    ReplyDelete
  9. If she is at 32 weeks now, I would say she doesn't have antibody syndrome. She would have never been able to carry a baby past the first trimester without the medication.

    ReplyDelete