Saturday, September 17, 2011

36 Weeks 3 Days: Wrapping Things Up!

We are getting so close. Her birth is only 18 days away! This week marked two big woohoos in the countdown of this successful pregnancy. Tuesday I took my last baby aspirin, and Thursday was my last progesterone injection. Now the only drug I'm on is heparin injections twice a day (only 33 more as of this posting!).

Just to review, the purpose of the baby aspirin (81mg low dose) is that it is an anti-coagulant (the same as the heparin). It keeps my blood from clotting, which is what hurt sweet Tater Tot. Aspirin takes a little while to leave the system, so I need to go off it kind of early. Plus, it does reach the baby, so it needs to be out of my system before the birth so she doesn't have any problems with bleeding.

The progesterone injections, called 17-alphahydroxyprogesterone, were to prevent me from having another preterm birth. You can read my initial post about it here. You probably remember the concerns and reservations I had about taking it. It is known to cause life-threatening blood clots in some patients. After much thinking, worrying, debating, and praying, I decided to take the injections. God showed me in a dream that I would have a little girl and that she'd be preterm. I knew He was telling me to take the medicine. Nineteen weekly injections later, I'm still pregnant, four days from being officially full term, and I did not have one single side effect from the injections, not even bruising and soreness at the site, which is super common. We'll never know if I really needed the injections. If I ever get pregnant again, I'll have to take them again. But, who cares? It has all been well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment