Thursday, July 28, 2011

29 Weeks 1 Day: We Have a Plan!

We went to our 29 week doctor's appointment yesterday and discussed our birth plan. At my first appointment, the doctor told us she would induce us at 38 weeks. I didn't really ask questions at that time because I figured we'd cross that bridge when we get there (just hoping, of course, that we'd get there). Well, I can see the bridge up ahead. It's gettin' close, folks!

Here's the deal (some of which I have explained before): I will go off the 81mg daily aspirin at 36 weeks. The reason for this is because the aspirin does reach the baby and it is not entirely safe for me to deliver while I/we (she, really) is still on the aspirin because of the risk of a brain bleed.

I will go off the Heparin the day before the scheduled induction. Here's where the decision had to be made. The Heparin does not reach the baby, so she is not affected at all by when I go off the Heparin. I am the one that could be affected. It is a small dose of blood thinner; it's not like I have water running through my veins or anything. Still, some anestestiologists won't perform an epidural unless I've been off the medication for at least 12 hours. My doctor said this is more likely to happen with an older doctor with an "old school" mentality. A younger doctor with a more modern way of thinking would realize that the dose was insignificant.

The decision is to either schedule an induction at 38 weeks and go off the Heparin the day before or hold out for a 39 week induction and go off the heparin the day before. As a mommy, I have to choose what's best for my daughter. At 38 weeks, there is a possibility that she will have to go to the NICU because of under developed lungs. At 39 weeks, she'll be good. I told the doctor I want to induce at 39 weeks, and I'll take my chances with the whole epidural/heparin thing. My baby cannot go to the NICU. She has to stay with me. I'm going to hold her and nurse her and never take my eyes off her and no one is ever going to take her away . . . not even down the hall to the NICU.

October 5, 2011 it is! At St. Mary's on Washington Avenue in Evansville, IN.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bon! Both of my babies were born at 39 weeks, not something I would change! My birthday is October 4 and I am so happy you are going to have her in such beautiful weather and a gorgeous time of year! Also, the pain is temporary if you cannot have an epidural... I didn't with either and once again, not something I would change! Love you!
    Rebecca F

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so close!!! I've been on both sides of the epidural, as a patient and the nurse; it is true that the younger anesthesiologists/CRNAs are ok with the recent hep dose; heparin leaves your system quite quickly.

    I can't wait to see pictures of your little bug!

    ReplyDelete