Wednesday, April 6, 2011

13 Weeks: How's Mommy Doin'?

I don't have any ultrasound pictures or amazing baby videos to share this week, so I thought you may like to know how I'm doing. This blog, afterall, used to be about me. (Yes, I know. Few things in life will be about me ever again.)

Well, I happen to be doing great. This pregnany has been very kind to me. I'm one week away from the second trimester, and it just couldn't be going any better. I haven't had many pregnancy symptoms. Not one stitch of nausea. I know what you might be thinking because I heard it all the time with my other two pregnancies. It's good to be sick when you're pregnant. First of all, I can't help it that I'm not sick. Second of all, you don't have to be sick to have a healthy baby. Sensitivity to hormones is what causes morning sickness, but I didn't lose my other two babies because of hormone deficiencies. So, in a nutshell, I'm never nauseous. I haven't thrown up. All I ever want to do is eat. Thus, I've gained more weight than I should have up to this point. We can talk about that later, though (or not). I do exercise to try to combat that, from twice a week ( I know, that's pathetic) up to five times a week. That includes swimming, walking my dog, or exercise DVDs (Walk Away the Pounds).

Nausea and vomiting are not the only pregnancy symptoms, of course.
  • breast tenderness - check!
  • constipation - check! check!
  • fatigue - check!
  • thinking I should get whatever I want whenever I want it - check!
  • peeing every 30 minutes and two or three times a night - check! check! check!
  • pregnancy glow - check! (or so I've been told)
  • the sense of smell of a blood hound - check!
I'm still taking two Heparin injections a day and one 81mg aspirin a day to prevent a miscarriage related to Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome. Up to this posting, I have given myself 149 injections in the belly since conception. I will continue this regime until I am 36 weeks pregnant. During the first few weeks, my belly was very bruised and sore. So sore, in fact, that I wondered how I would be able to continue, despite my iron will, throughout the entire pregnancy. After about six or eight weeks, however, the bruising diminished and the soreness subsided. When I rub my fingers across my belly, I can feel several knots at the injection sites, and it is still a little sore. No big deal, though. It's nothing I can't handle. Every shot has been more than worth it.

Emotionally? I'm good there, too. I'm not worried about the baby anymore. I do think I overestimated myself when I decided I could go four weeks between appointments, though. It's only been 1 week 2 days since my last appointment, and I already feel like I really need to go in for a heart beat check. I am going to a regular doctor to get my ear checked (swimmer's ear, I think) on April 12th. I'm thinking he will probably have a doppler so we can check for a heartbeat. That should make me feel better. I just keep telling myself that normal people only get their baby's heartrate checked every four weeks. For me, though, that just seems nuts!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Bon, you are so right! You don't have to feel/get sick to have a healthy baby! I wasn't sick even a day with any of my three pregnancies. I always felt and still feel very lucky about this!! And you should as well. We are some of the lucky few! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you and baby are doing great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad everything is going so good. And yes, you are glowing with your pregancy, Of course you usually are a glowing kinda girl. love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can buy a little doppler thing...check out this link! It might be worth it to help you feel closer to baby and calm your nerves!

    http://www.topsellings.com/en/angelsounds-doppler-fetal-heart-beat-monitor-listener-recording-cable-p9023.html?language=en&currency=USD

    Love your blog!
    B

    ReplyDelete