Monday, May 2, 2011

16 Weeks 5 Days: She's a Keeper!

In my mind, it was already a done deal. Friday was the meltdown with the realization of what was to be--again. Over the weekend I moped and cried some more. And today, I tried to start making peace with it, readying myself for what I would hear today, making plans for what I hoped would work out the same and what I would like to do differently this time.

Instead, I show the sonographer the picture of Miracle Whip's brain compared to the internet picture of the strawberry shaped head of a Trisomy 18 baby. I think she's going to look at it and realize that I've discovered something--something she didn't want to discover.

"No," she says. "This looks like a perfectly acceptable head shape to me. It is not the same as this other picture."

I'm still skeptical. "They look exactly the same."

"No, they don't. This picture is looking at Trisomy 18 markers that your baby doesn't have," she insists. "There are all different head shapes. What I see is a perfectly normal developing skull and brain."

Then, she looks carefully at Miracle Whip's brain on the ultrasound. She says she is very happy with her head shape. I can tell she means it. I can also tell that she understands why I can't wrap my mind around the fact that I have a perfect baby on the way. She was, afterall, the one who discovered both Gabriel's and Tater Tot's wings.

Princess Miracle Whip made her mommy very happy today. We had peanut M&Ms on the way over to give Little Girl a sugar rush. It worked. She put on a great show. It was so adorable watching her try to suck her thumb (just like big brother Gabe!), but she kept hitting her nose instead. That does take a lot of coordination getting a thumb into your mouth.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, God! Thank you, again . . . and again . . . and again . . . for my miracle girl.




4 comments:

  1. So very glad for you!!!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful!

    Larissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never doubted that God was going to take care of you through this! There will be more scares and concerns throughout this pregnancy, but I promise, God has His hand in this!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete