Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mrs. Skinny's Delectable Holiday Ham

We got a few catering orders for Thanksgiving. I ended up doing all the work. How do I keep falling into that trap? Thus, I was too tired (you know, from spending two whole evenings prepping and cooking after coming home from that silly little full-time teaching job that I have) to remember to take pictures to post on this blog. So, instead, I'll give you a recipe. Actually, it's more of a method:

Mrs. Skinny's Delectable Holiday Ham
Half or Whole bone-in ham
brown sugar
cinnamon
nutmeg
cloves
ginger
pineapple rings
pineapple juice
honey
*Allspice can be substituted for nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.

Set ham in large pan. I usually use a large foil pan, doubled to support the weight of the ham. Make a rub for the ham with the brown sugar and spices. I just eyeball everything. I'm guessing about 3 cups of brown sugar, 2 TBSP of cinnamon, and 1 1/2 tsp allspice or 1/2 tsp each of nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Rub the ham generously with the mixture, leaving a thick layer of spiced brown sugar on the ham. Cover the ham with pineapple slices secured with toothpicks. Then, pour a mixture of pineapple juice and honey over the ham (gently so as not to wash off all the brown sugar rub). Cover the ham loosely with foil and smoke for about 6 hours at 325 degrees, basting every hour.

After slicing, pour some of the juices back over the ham and sprinkle generously with more of the spiced brown sugar rub. Place fresh pineapple slices on top. Oh, man. It's the best ham ever!

Like I told you in this post, I don't expect you to actually try to make your own ham. Just call or email me, and I'll fix you one for Christmas. I know you'll love it!

BTW: I originally posted the recipe for Mrs. Skinny's Sweet BBQ Sauce, but Phat Skinny saw that and vetoed it. So, you got ham instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment