Thursday, June 23, 2011

He is a Mighty Warrior

All I did was type that blog post title and my eyes are brimming with tears. "Gabriel's Blankets" ministry is just another way God is showing me in 2011 that He does hear us and answer our prayers if we are faithful and wait on Him. This little ministry started out just a few months ago as a small group of women knitting and crocheting (some of whom, including me, who did not even know how to do it) to give blankets to newborns at our local hospital. Gabriel and these generous women have now donated blankets to babies at Methodist Hospital in Henderson, KY and Owensboro Mercy Health System in Owensboro, KY. Plus, I have 28 blankets and matching hats that I am getting ready to deliver to the perinatal bereavement programs at The Women's Hospital at Deaconess Gateway in Newburgh, IN and St. Mary's Medical Center in Evansville, IN for the angel babies like Gabriel. Oh, there's more. This week, Gabriel's Blankets gave a blanket to a young woman who fell 100 feet off a cliff at The Garden of the Gods and survived. We also gave one to her seven year old daughter who saw it happen. PLUS Gabriel's Blankets is donating 50 30"x32" lap blankets to the residents of Henderson Manor nursing home for Christmas.

That's amazing, isn't it? I am so proud of my son. I wanted so badly for Gabriel's life to matter. I wanted people to remember him and to miss him. That's a tall order considering that only a handful of people even got a chance to meet him. But God is good to me, and he created this ministry in my son's memory and his son's name. Pretty great, huh? Every one of the blankets donated (39 in June!) have Gabriel's name on them and heartfelt prayers attached to them. My little boy is a mighty warrior for God's kingdom, just like I hoped he would be.




***You guessed it! It will take a lot of yarn to make 50 lap blankets. If you feel led, Gabriel would really appreciate your donations of yarn, gift cards to buy yarn, or 30" x 32" blankets if you want to make one.

First Assembly of God
c/o Gabriel's Blankets
2208 Hwy 60 East
Henderson, KY 42420

4 comments:

  1. I  it!!! What size are you making the lap blankets?
    Lisa Cox

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is amazing bonnie! what a blessing!! I have a donation for you- found a box and large bag of yarn in my granny's closet as we were getting her house ready to sell... I'll bring it to school sometime next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped at a rummage sale this morning and asked the little lady if she had any yarn, which she in turn asked what I was going to do with it. I explained and then she sent her husband in the house to bring out a tote. She gave me two shopping size bags of yarn to donate to Gabriel's Blankets! Her name is Polly (Ellis) Lambert. This sweet little lady would like for us to remember her in our prayers for her health. Thanks again Polly! :)

    ReplyDelete