Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Gabriel's Blankets" Ministry to Newborns

This will melt your heart . . .

About a month ago, I received an email from a woman in my church (Henderson First Assembly of God). She told me that a ministry to newborns was laid on her heart about a year ago and that she had just gotten our pastor's approval to start it up. She also told me that the idea to name the ministry after Gabriel has been on her heart since his birth. She wanted my permission to use his name. Thus, "Gabriel's Blankets" was born.

Wow! We are so honored and appreciative to have our baby remembered in such a special way. Gabriel's purpose was to inspire us to pray and believe in miracles. Is there anything more miraculous than a newborn baby?

Once a month (the last Tuesday of the month), a group of women will meet at the church to crochet or knit baby blankets. We will then pray over the blankets and for the sweet babies who will be bundled in them. Then, we will donate the blankets to the newborns at Henderson's Methodist Hospital. These babies and their families will hear Gabriel's name and be blessed. Isn't that special?

When I found out that Gabriel had wings (and once I was past the initial shock), I had an overwhelming desire to make people know my baby. I wanted people to know him and remember him. I had a since of urgency within me to let everyone know that he was a real, true person who would be missing from our lives. I couldn't stand the idea that someone that mattered so much to me could possibly slip away unnoticed.

During my pregnancy, I spoke so many times in my belief that my little baby was a mighty warrior for God. Now look at him. He has a ministry! I think you will agree--he has always ministered to us.

Last night was the first meeting:

Mommy trying her hand at crochet. She worked really hard on this all weekend! She doesn't know how to do it, but she wants to make me proud.

Charlene is knitting. She's the wonderful woman who started "Gabriel's Blankets." I'm so glad she's in tune with the Holy Spirit.


                                             Michelle looks like an expert.


                                They are having way too much fun!


                                Sandy is teaching Susan how to knit.


Besides prayer, we need yarn. You can help by sending monetary donations or gift cards for Wal-Mart, JoAnn Fabrics, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby to:

First Assembly of God
c/o Gabriel's Blankets
2208 Hwy 60 East
Henderson, KY 42420

or if you love to knit or crochet, make a blanket and send it to us. We'll pray and give it to a baby who really needs it.

3 comments:

  1. Gabriel will always be remembered. He was a mighty warrior for God. This ministry justifies that. These look like a few really precious women doing this nice ministry. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ministry makes me so happy! What a great tribute to Gaby while giving back to others.What a blessing in your church family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bonnie, that post gave me chills. Words cannot express how special that is! I mean I really cannot put into words how inspirational your baby as the child/person he was (as well as the soul he is) and your strength through it all is to have played a part in the creation of this program. Through his name he will go on to literally touch so many lives. Carol

    ReplyDelete