Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 5: Femara

I started taking Femara today. It is an oral medication that I will take twice a day for five days. Femara is actually a breast cancer drug (used to decrease the chances of the cancer returning), but it is used off-the-charts as a fertility drug also. Off-the-charts because it is not FDA approved for this.

Femara is an aromatase inhibitor. Aromatase is an enzyme in the body that signals the production of estrogen. When estrogen production is suppressed, the brain sends a signal to the pituitary gland to increase the FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) production. That means producing one or two follicles when maybe none would have been produced without the medication. It also regulates the cycle because you start taking it on a certain day depending on when you want the procedure scheduled. This prevents it from needing to take place on a weekend when the doctor's office is closed.

We tried this in September 2008 back when I really didn't think I had anything wrong with me. After taking only the Femara with no other drugs, an ultrasound showed I produced no follicles. Not even one. I was shocked. Devastated. I couldn't believe it. The procedure that I had waited so long for was unexpectedly canceled. I just thought, since when do I need medication to ovulate. Now, truth be told, we don't really know that I need more intense drug therapy in order to produce follicles and ovulate because we have never had another ultrasound of my ovaries when I wasn't on medication. I just take the other medication because it definitely works, and if I'm going to do all the other stuff, I don't want to leave anything to chance.

Thanks for praying!

3 comments:

  1. Definately praying for those ovaries to produce lovely eggs that will perfectly release in Jesus name :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie!
    You probably dont really know me, but i used to go to First Assembly, and I just wanted to encourage you. I have really been touched by hearing your stories, and my heart really goes out for you. I speak life into your reproductive system in the name of Jesus, that your body will line up with the Word of God, and you are healed and whole, and producing beautiful children. God bless you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, I recognize your name. I'm sure if I saw your face I'd know who you are. Thank you so much for the powerful prayers. That's what makes it all worth if for me to broadcast it all on this blog. -Bonnie

    ReplyDelete