Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cassidy Nicole James: A Dream Birth Story

Cassidy Nicole James
    October 5, 2011
    2:36PM
    7 lbs 8.8 oz, 20 1/4 inches


Yes, we had the dream birth . . . and we got the dream girl.
 
We arrived at St. Mary's Medical Center at 7:30PM on Tuesday, October 4, 2011 to start the induction. Room #3520 was reserved for us. I've spent so much time thinking about the moments in my life that occurred in that room, about how I'd like to be in there again and re-experience the miracle, about how I'd like to feel what it was like to have him again and how that room must be the place to do it. But, when I walked in, it seemed different somehow. I studied the bed, trying to mentally put myself back in that place and time, but I couldn't get there. We weren't waiting for him. We came for someone else.

Our room, Room #3520
Our birth experience started out with Taco Tierra. 

The doctor told us to go to dinner before we arrived at the hospital. We took that to mean get your dinner before you come to the hospital. So we did. First we got our dinner, then we brought it to the hospital. Sounds simple enough, but the nurse informed us that I better hurry up and eat it because I was not allowed any food after I was officially admitted. I scarfed down my sancho and nachos before anyone could come and confiscate them. Of all nights, they put the wrong sauce on my food. I ate the spicy sauce anyway (You don't turn your back on Taco Tierra!) and spent the rest of my sleepless night finishing up my bottle of Tums.

I went into the induction 1 1/2 centimeters dilated and 50% effaced. Every time they checked me during the night and early morning, I had not changed. I really feared the induction was not going to work. A C-section was not in my dream birth plan. I was the only one that was worried about this. I don't know if you've noticed, but I've spent plenty of time worrying about this pregnancy. Why stop when there are only a few hours left?

The doctor broke my water and started me on Pitocin at around 8:30 AM. The epidural was soon to follow. As is the way things tend to go with us and my doctors, Skyler and the anesthesiologist talked about football while I was receiving the epidural. Ugh!

Mom and Dad look forward to the new addition!

 After breaking the water and starting the pitocin, things progressed quickly. For the next couple of hours, it seemed like everyone just stood around watching me, as if they didn't want to take their eyes off me and risk missing the next centimeter of dilation (not that they were exactly watching THAT, but you know what I mean). The doctor expected a 5:00 PM birth, but I was ready shortly after lunch time. Electricity filled the room when the nurse announced I had reached 10 centimeters and she would be calling the doctor. My eyes filled with tears in the knowledge that I was only minutes (I hoped!) away from a miracle years in the making. 

Just like before, my husband stood at my left and my sister stood at my right. With just a few short pushes, the room exploded with excitement as a very hairy head began to emerge. The nurse asked me if I wanted to touch my baby's head; I think I only had the guts to do it because I was so completely numb. I reached my hand down and felt my daughter's long hair. That is a miraculous thing.

Just a couple more pushes and she comes down so quickly that the doctor tells me to stop, take a breath, and get ready for the last push (this has all been only about 10 minutes I'm guessing, very much like it was with Gabe's delivery). I push one more time, as hard as I can, and a grand celebration ensues. Cassidy is here! And it is even more than I prayed for, everything I dreamed of, but so much more. More, because my mind and my heart did not know how to take it past that moment, to all the other moments, to the ones where she screamed endlessly at the top of her lungs announcing to us that she really is here and she really is healthy and I really do get to keep her. 








 


Daddy's Bears Girl

This, I can honestly say, was my second dream birth experience; God loves me like that. This was different, of course. I don't mean all the ways you all know it was different. I mean the atmosphere. When Gabriel was born, aside from the one tear that steamed down my cheek in the first few moments he was in my arms, I didn't cry. Partly because I refused to show weakness, and partly, mostly, because the Holy Spirit gave us such an inexplicable calmness that kept us from wasting our few precious hours. This time, when little sister Cassidy arrived in our incredible dream birth moment, I bawled my eyes out in joyous celebration and gratitude to her Creator and my Savior. It was a release--a release of the agony the last two years has brought me. 

Oh, and one more thing . . . she looks just like him. God loves me like that, too.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience with us...and all the wonderful pictures as she arrived. love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful. I'm so very happy for you.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie you are an amazing women of God and because of your true trust in the Heavenly Father, I can't wait to see what great things Cassidy will do for the Kingdom! She was born on my brothers birthday!
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete