Monday, December 13, 2010

Deck the Halls

Last year we did not put up a Christmas tree. Skyler was really busy, and I was really pregnant. And--this is gonna be a shocker--we just weren't feeling all that festive. I know I've said this before, but I don't remember feeling sad or like I wouldn't want to celebrate. I mean, I had Gaby Baby alive and well right inside of me (Okay, I guess he wasn't well, but it seemed like he was.). Still, we were tired and overwhelmed, and we didn't put up a tree.

Look, this picture says December 19, 2009. I'm standing where we always put up the tree. A few days later, Skyler and I made Christmas ornaments for Gabriel. So, I put the three foot evergreen tree I keep in my dining room year-round up in the living room and hung the ornament on it. It was the only ornament on the tree.



This year, I really could have cared less about putting up a tree again. I don't want to feel that way, though. I don't want to continue a tradition of sadness and scroogness (I'm actually kind of a scrooge, anyway.  Christmas is not my favorite holiday.) I tell the Lord everyday that it has nothing to do with me not wanting to celebrate Jesus' birthday. It's just that I want Gaby and Tater Tot here with me. I want to take their pictures in red pajamas in front of the tree. I want to bake cookies with them and surprise them with gifts from Santa. 

Of course, it hasn't always been this way. Christmas used to be a romantic holiday at our house, with romantic dinners and romantic things to do. ;-) This year, we decided, will be that way again. So, after dragging our feet, we put up the tree. This will, afterall, be our last chance at a quiet, romantic holiday. Next year I will surely have someone in red pajamas, don't you think?
  



4 comments:

  1. When I pray for you, I will pray for someone in little tiny red pjs to be under your tree next year! And I want to see the picture!!! Hugs to you...and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the Christmas decorations. Hope you two have a romantic Christmas! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the romance. Next year will be too busy with babies' first Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me smile!! It's good to put up the tree and have that "romantic Christmas" you use to have every year. Remember the importance of you and Skyler being happy as a couple. I know it's not easy, being that you miss Gabby and Tater Tot but the mommy and daddy relationship is so important and so easy to let slip. And when that little one in red pj's come into this world he'll/she'll know that mommy and daddy love each other just as much as they love him/her. Merry Christmas Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete